Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Joshua 1:Nine!
What a year this has been! As the weeks and months go by it is easy to lose sight of everything that gets accomplished but as we look back we can see the year has been filled with success and blessings. Below is a list of just a few of the items that successfully started and will continue to find strength in 2019.
1) We have seen the implementation and refinement of our meal program, including hiring our cook Bella Nira;
2) Deepened relationship with For the Least of These Ministries to assist in supplementing our meal program;
3) Finalized Dominican nonprofit status which makes us a legal entity in the Dominican Republic;
4) Implemented a salary structure for our coaches and staff which allows them access to the country’s retirement system and public health benefits;
5) Began daily devotionals with pastors from two Fondo Negro churches who come to speak into the lives of our coaches, community members who are involved in practices as well as the boys on the team;
6) Established a relationship with Tierra Alta which will provide an opportunity for 250 boys and girls to attend summer camp in July 2019;
7) Laid the necessary groundwork for the installation of a water filtration system which will provide clean water to the community, as well as surrounding communities, for the first time in their history;
8) Completed two successful Impact Trips which included outreach to the community clinic as well as the building of a latrine for one of the boys’ family, a lot of fun and a lot of baseball; and
9) Last but not least, we have given love and increased the amount of trust and understanding the community has in what we are doing. This is essential to our lasting impact.
In 2019 we desire to see continuation and growth in the above accomplished goals and our goals for 2019 continue to evolve but they include:
1) Installation of the water filtration system and successful commencement of the production of clean water for the community;
2) Summer camp experience for the Fondo Negro youth;
3) Three or more Impact Trips; and
4) Inclusion of the Fondo Negro baseball AND softball team members in the Major League Baseball initiative know as RBI.
Big things are brewing for Joshua 1:Nine and the opportunities the completion of these goals would create for the community are vast and growing. It is with GREAT excitement we look toward 2019 and hope you will continue to be part of this endeavor.
Please join us by becoming a financial or prayer partner. We can’t accomplish these goals without the help of our community partners as well as God’s provision. And to those of you who have walked with us so far thank you for your support and prayer. We look forward to continuing to share in this journey with you.
We pray your holidays are blessed and full of happiness and joy.
Fuerte y Valiente! Strength and Courage!
Did you know Joshua 1:Nine is lead by an amazing group of people across the country who make up our Board of Directors? (Pictured above is board Chair Jodi during her visit to Fondo Negro in 2017.) Have you made a New Years Resolution to do more to help your community and fellow man? Do you enjoy leadership and helping to create and implement vision? We are looking to expand our board and would love the opportunity to talk with you about it if you are interested. Our first meeting in 2019 will be in February so January is the perfect time to get established and caught up. Contact Kristin for more information.